Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A whole different world

So the other day Hermanie, our little babysitter asked, "Did you have lots of peer pressure when you were in high school?" I was like, "Yeah, some. I think everyone has some. Why, what's yours about?" Basically she said there are 20 girls on their cheerleading squad, and only 2 of them are virgins.

She's 14.

She said they all make fun of her for it and there was one particular time during a class that it was really getting to her. I asked how old the girl was that was bugging her the most about it. 15. And she already has a baby. I said, "What? She already has a baby? And she's a cheerleader?" She said that yes, she did, and so as not to discourage kids from dropping out of school, her high school has a daycare.

WOW.

Ok, I definitely did not have the same kind of peer pressure growing up in Bountiful Utah. But good grief, what kind of message does that send to your students to have a daycare to make it easier to care for all their illegitimate children?!? She goes to the "have a safe summer" school I mentioned before that's in our neighborhood. Sheesh, maybe I misinterpreted that. I was thinking "have a safe summer - don't get shot." But maybe they're really trying to say, "Have safe sex this summer" or "Have a safe summer, don't get syphilis."

7 comments:

Kimi said...

That's sad.

Chadlee said...

That is so sad! I really can't believe it's happening so much and so young.

todd & nicole said...

YIKES! Todd has told me there were similar things going on in Louisiana when he lived there. He was in middle school there. I didn't realized how sheltered a life I lived growing up.

Spar-Mar Girl said...

Yeah, there was a high school in my district growing up (in Texas) that had a daycare, so anyone who wanted to finish high school could transfer there and take classes on how to take care of their baby. It's so sad!!!!

Jenilee said...

What is happening in the world today? I am so nervous for my girls to grow up in this crazy world.

H. said...

Yikes!!

liz said...

you crack me up (the end part). but yeah holy cow. that's a heavy kind of peer pressure I neve experienced. that's so cool she opened up to you- I can't imagine she has many other people in her life to talk that openly about that with.