Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The good

So I know. From reading my blog it sounds like I have the worst life. Well, A. This really is the hardest time I've ever been through in my life. And, B. Who wants to hear about the boring stuff? I mean, isn't that how the news is? Nobody wants to hear, "Well, people got up today, got in their cars, and went to work." I think we just tend to talk about what's out of the normal.

But really, aside from all the craziness, I do get twice as much baby skin to caress, twice as many smiles and giggles, and twice as much cuteness, as you can see from the pictures above. (But about 7 times the work. I haven't figured that one out yet.) I really do make sure I take the time to enjoy it. I just wish I had more time to enjoy it, and wasn't so busy just trying to keep everyone fed, changed, napped and alive, because I know they'll only be this age once. And I really do like the 6 month stage. I think 6-8 months is really fun when they don't move much, they just smile and play, and they're systems seem to be functioning better and they're generally happier. And they really are pretty good right now, just finicky nappers. But even then, if I didn't have to worry about it and could just focus on being with one, I would really love just sleeping with them tucked under my arm.

Even more cute is that now I get to watch them discover each other. It's so precious. These babies find every excuse to hold hands. Anytime they're in some sort of proximity, I come back to find them holding hands.

Even Cash has finally turned the corner. I find him giggling with them all the time. For some reason he does it more when I'm out of the room, so I'm always trying to catch him d0ing it. But I love tipping the rear-view mirror in the car and seeing him pretend to have conversations with the babies. He even will sit and hold their hands in the car. I love it.

And Cash honestly continues to be my saving grace. I could not have handled having twins if I didn't have such a mellow well-behaved child. Not to say he doesn't throw tantrums and have his moments, but he's just so sweet. He continues to be alphabetically inclined, and I love that he sings anything and everything and seems to remember tunes he's only heard once or twice.

I love listening over the monitor at nights when he's falling asleep. Ryan and I get the biggest kick out of hearing him in bed imitating the Count from Sesame Street. Only it's his sweet little voice and it sounds more like, "One, ha ha ha. Two, ha ha ha."

Now we've just got to get a new camera so we can document all this. Our camera is on it's death bed and it breaks my heart when I try to get one of these great moments and it doesn't work!

So really, it is miraculous I even have all these incredibly healthy boys. I know. I'm very blessed.

10 comments:

Kimi said...

Those babies are pretty cute, but Cash is the best. I like hearing about the things that he does. Andrew had a dream that we had a baby and said that he looked like Cash. I hope that we will be that lucky. I wish I could hear Cash count like Count Dracula.

Shannon said...

That is nice. Those kids are so stinkin' cute.

Chadlee said...

That's so cute that they hold hands!

todd & nicole said...

I have to say I LOVE reading your blog. It is my very favorite. I check it everyday to get the updates. I think you are so amazing. You don't pretend life is perfect, life is just life. Sometimes happy, sad, hard, miserable, exciting, fun, and sometimes just boring. I think you're doing a great job.

Anne Marie said...

The pictures of you and the babies turned out beautiful. I love how you are honest and open about your life. The first year of twins was so stinkin' hard (for the sake of other readers, I kept myself from using other words to describe it). I think it's amazing you've been able to keep up with life, even with a move, a husband working insane hours, twin babies, and a toddler too. Parenting twins definitely brings a lot of joy, but it makes life insanely busy, exhausting, draining, guilt-ridden, and overwhelming. The first year is the PITS as far as sleep and physical exhaustion goes. Can't promise the toddler years are a breeze, but they're better and hard in different ways. And, (cross my fingers), my boys have been having a blast with each other lately...far more good times than bad. Hope that mastitis clears itself up, never to return. Amazing you're able to keep your head above water. Sorry for the novel.

Aloha_Misty said...

I just love reading your blog. It reminds me that life is hard for someone else right now just me! I hate dealing with not having a real job at this age...I am almost 30 Greg has 4 more years of school before his PhD and I am going to have three kids soon. AHHH! Yet your hanging on with twins and a husband who is beyond insanely busy! Keep plugging along! It will get better...and I hope the hurricanes stay clear from your area. Here in my part of Georgia we don't get the hurricanes just the weird weather following them.

Stefanie Miller said...

Jen- I loved this entry. I needed a little reminder myself to see the good in some of the drama that goes on, and this was very refreshing. Thanks.

Aimee said...

Love this post. You're great at being honest about your experiences, capturing all the little moments that happen, AND finding the bright side of things! You truly are amazing. The pictures of you and the boys are great. How do you keep getting more beautiful?! Love your cute boys.

LuAnn said...

Ha ha. True. Your blog is one of the most interesting I read...cause it is unordinary. But I do love the ordinary, too. Those sweet little moments. Maybe that is why blogs are so fun cause its just ordinary lives on the Net. We all know you aren't the type to let them slip by without taking note even when you don't tell us about them. I hope everyday gets better for you from here on out.

Anonymous said...

Has this post always been here under the photos? Or was I so taken with the photos I missed the two underneath. It is precious.

I would dearly love to be there for this particular age of all three of your darlings.

xoxoGrammy C.