Tuesday, June 24, 2008
4 month status
The twins are 4 months old today.
- They are now sleeping a consistent 8 hour stretch at night. Why am I still so tired then I wonder? I really still feel somewhat inexplicably tired, but I have some theories. I think it's because one of them is fussy on the falling asleep end and one is usually fussy on the waking up end, so cut some time out for that. Then of course if I want even 30 minutes to get stuff done after the kids are all in bed, cut some more time out for that. Then there's the fact that by 4 or 5am I wake up because my boobs are ready to explode and/or they already have and my bed is soaked. Cut more time out for not sleeping well past that point.
- We attempted to try to fatten up the skinny baby (Phoenix) by giving him rice cereal earlier than the other baby for the last month. A) It didn't work. B) It doesn't make babies sleep any longer.
- Their multiple cross-country plane rides seem to be getting increasingly difficult the older they get.
- Although they do sleep a good stretch, I cannot for the life of me get them to sleep any earlier than 9:30 or 10pm.
- And while the night-time sleep is good, their daytime naps continue to stink. They will only sleep 30 minutes. Doesn't matter how - swaddled, swinging, in their cribs, whatever. But I know they are tired because if after their little catnap I hold them or lay down with them, they will sleep another hour or two. If I don't manage to do this, they get crankier. So I know they're tired. I guess I can try letting them cry it out again, but I know they've cried up to an hour before and still didn't fall back asleep so I'm not sure I'm ready for that again. Cash was like this too. He only slept for 30 minutes at a time, and would then fall asleep again only with me. Except with him, I'd have to nurse him back to sleep and then remain the human pacifier for the next hour and a half. No swapping out the pacifier or naptime was over. At least these two will at least just let me be next to them. But once I'm home and have no one else to hold baby #2 I'm not sure what will happen. Lots of crying, probably.
- Cash has possibly made a peace offering with the babies. One time he actually tried to feed them a graham cracker, and one other time he handed them toys. Big steps. Although, that's still only two gestures in 4 months. Fine with me though. At least I can leave him in the same room with the babies and know he won't go anywhere near them.
- And yes, for what it's worth, I'm still nursing them.