Monday, March 24, 2008

Mr. Right

If I'm being brutally honest, I'll admit that we really don't love the newborn stage. We sort of see it as something to get through. I know, that's probably terrible and may elicit gasps from all of you baby lovers, but it's just the way we feel. Maybe it's because we are serious sleepers around here. We LOVE sleeping. We LOVE that our toddler goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps until 8 or 9am without interruption and then takes a 2 hour nap in the middle of the day. We would gladly be asleep that whole time with him.

Having said that, if you feel bad for me and all my issues dealing with newborn twins right now, the one you really should feel bad for is Ryan. Seriously. In the first place, I'm not the superwoman like many of you. I don't do all the child care single-handedly. I'm just not that capable. I know some women take care of everything, including all night-time stuff with the babies from day 1. Pretty much, when Ryan is off work, or home without studying or other things he has to do, we split it 50/50. Currently he's taking far more than his share. He did, however remind me that once we're in Miami and he's doing his ophthalmology residency - it will be a totally different story.

But honestly, he is currently doing everything right. Don't get me wrong, he's always been very helpful - when he's asked. It's usually something like this around here -

"Ryan will you do some laundry?"
Hours later: "Ryan, will you change the laundry?"
Hours later: "Ryan, will you bring up the clean laundry?"
Days later: "Ryan, will you fold the clean laundry that is spread out all over our living room?"
Even more days later: "Ryan, will you put away the folded laundry that is sitting in piles all over the living room?"

So I've been in total shock that he's just doing everything right now. No nagging, no asking. I woke up from a nap yesterday to find neatly folded piles of laundry stacked on the couch. I haven't had to ask him to take out the garbage for weeks. He actually picks up the house spontaneously. He always gives Cash a bath and gets him ready for bed. He takes one of the night feedings with the babies. He changes diapers. LOTS of them. He even offers to give me backrubs once in a while.

WHERE DID MR. PERFECT HUSBAND COME FROM AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY RYAN?!?!?!?

Actually, nevermind. I'll keep whoever this guy is.

7 comments:

Tennille said...

I've actually been wondering how this phase will play out in our house. I'm not a big newborn fan myself (get me to 2 months old and I'm good). I've been trying to gently tell my husband that making a habit of picking up after himself and around the house more NOW will become oh-so-important in a few months. I love that Ryan's totally stepping up to the plate and going above and beyond. It gives me hope. :)

liz said...

I am totally the same with newborn, once I had my own I had no interest in holding anyone else's newborn until I had my own again.

It's like now that I know how much they need the honeymoon dazzle is over. Chubby baby part and smiles are what I am aLL about and you are almost there- I swear you will get to that before you know it! Until then take pictures and pretend you are getting sleep. ;-)

+

Yea Ryan! You guys are an awesome team!

A said...

You are amazing, I need an address so I can send you something ubber cute! NAd can I say I'd get my tubes tied after having twins. What a woman!

Jenilee said...

I think having a second, or second/third, child brings out the helpful husband. Seth has been doing more of the cleaning up as well. Part of it may be that with all the added baby stuff plus all the two year old's mess in a small apartment, you can't help but clean up.

Anonymous said...

As one of the "workers" to assist in this twin process, and living there and seeing it all, I second everything wonderful said about Ryan! He is the greatest! And besides it is also comforting to have a doctor in the house.

chunsaker

Shannon said...

True that true that on the newborn stage. I take it all the way to age two though. Do you see me pregnant no! For good reason. But, My little 3 year old and almost 5 year old are incredibley joyus to me. Aunt Laurie loves the baby stage. Too bad she couldn't live with you. Ryan You are a Champ and I am proud of you. Jenn you keep praising him up and down and he won't stop.

H. said...

Wow! Gotta love great husbands! I'm so glad you've got one. And your twins are so stinkin' cute!! A month old? How did they grow up so fast? Can't wait to see them in person.