Sunday, May 3, 2009

You always want what you can't have

Such a strange mix of emotions in this family about this one thing:




I can't get this kid to go near it.


I can't keep these kids away from it.

And I can't get 30 seconds to myself to enjoy it.
(My mom captured this picture after she heard them banging on the door yelling trying to get in when I'd gone in to go to the bathroom. By the time she'd gotten there at least they'd taken to trying to problem solve and crawl their way in under the door.)

Honestly, I swear I'll hold it all day just to not have to deal with the mess it is just trying to go to the bathroom. If I leave the door open, I have two little babies crawling all over me, sitting on my lap, playing with the plunger, toilet brush, or whatever else they can find that that shouldn't be playing with. Then when I try to get up, I try to keep a hold of my pants with one hand while grabbing one baby and trying to shove them out the door, hoping I'll be fast enough that #2 won't realize the toilet is now open for playing (and full now, mind you because flushing at this point will undoubtedly draw more attention to it and make it look even more inviting to play with). Chances are, I still couldn't do it fast enough and #2 has noticed and is now playing in the toilet, so while I grab him and wash him off, #1 has made his way back.... You see how it goes. So I may try to close the door and listen to them bang and scream at the door and melt down into total tears. When I try to open the door after this scenario, inevitably someone sneaks past me and rushes to the toilet while I'm grabbing after the other one, and the previous scenario ensues. Or I have to physically knock them both down to get out without them managing to get in and someone hits his head or in some other way gets hurt in the process. Or alternatively, all the banging on the door and screaming draws Cash's attention, so he comes and opens the door and the same thing happens all over again.

I'm having such issues with being tired of being touched, tugged, pulled, jumped on, or grabbed at all the time, that really, is 2 minutes to myself in the bathroom too much to ask for? (Sometimes lately I've had to shove everyone off me and yell "Nobody touch me for like 5 minutes!" and go hide off in a corner by myself. Not like it actually works though.)

As a side note, the drink and pee doll is on it's way,
I read my potty book, now all that's missing is some serious motivation on my part. Neither of us is really all that bugged with diapers, can't I just deal with it before he starts kindergarten? And do you see my hesitation to actually try to increase toilet time in this house? Because of course when I attempt to potty train it's going to end up all 4 of us cramped into the bathroom and the twins trying every way they know how to get at that splashy irresistible toilet water.

Now you can see why I bought the water table.

16 comments:

Tennille said...

Both of my twins will sit right outside the door and try and dart in as soon as I come out. Thankfully, they're not to the banging stage yet.

Isn't it horrible to hear yourself say to your children, "Please, I just need to not be touched right now"? And yet, I find myself saying it quite often these days.

Good luck with potty training! :)

Spar-Mar Girl said...

I so feel your pain-and I say go with it(the not doing it vibe)! If Cash isn't ready, don't force the issue-it's REALLY not worth it. And, this is just my opinion mind you, I would recommend to BURN that book! It is EVIL, like the fruit of the devil EVIL. Just my opinion though.

ps-I'm not even going to THINK about potty training Tyson until he's begging for it.

emily j said...

Just from my experience, I'd say don't even worry about the potty thing until Cash shows more interest...it'll just be tortuous for everyone involved...trust me on this. Wait til he's good and ready for it, and then it'll hopefully go quickly. Though probably not just one day, that book is full of lies!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I can totally imagine your family and the situation you described! Oh man! I feel for you!!!!

Julie

Tanya said...

I am right there with you on the touching thing! I feel so suffocated at the end of the day.

Potty training for taylor was a breeze while I had twins once she was ready to do it. We always talked about it so she knew what it was and one day, she was ready and it was so easy. My theory on it is not to push it.

Goeb Life said...

OMG! This is the most hilarious post! I too have one who is allergic to the toilet...well, actually this past week she has decided to make this her mission, only one accident! Yay Eva! :) Keep in mind that she is 31/2 though!

Anonymous said...

Seriously!! I won't be surprised if I start having problems with body functions because of how infrequently I can find the time to take care of business! It has only recently stopped being a problem for me to just lock the door, but I usually have some kind of surprise disaster to clean up by the time I"m done.

SuburbiaMom said...

What a funny post! Know what you mean about the kids and no privacy when you go to the bathroom!

Jenilee said...

I totally agree! Many times I just don't want to be touched. Good luck with the potty training. I have only done it once, but I waited until Savannah was very ready.

Laurie said...

Wait, wait , wait till Cash is even interested! Seriously do not torture yourself. It is not a contest to keep up with the POTTY TRAINED MOM next door. Save your sanity. Both my boys were close to three and it was more successful than having to deal with accidents. I tried to be so with it with Cait. Haley I waited the longest and had the very least trouble. My only problem now is still wherever mom goes, kids follow and will wait patiently outside the bathroom door or hold a full conversation, sometimes with things to slide under the door for me to inspect! Your a MOM now!
Love L

The Freemans said...

I constantly think the same thing "can't I just go to the bathroom by myself, without anyone watching or waiting for me to finish"....what's even worse is going to the bathroom when you are at a store and trying to fit all of us into one stall because I'm not comfortable leaving my 1,3, and 4 year old out of the stall....It's a circus and it's amazing we survive as mothers!!!! Good Luck!!!

Melanie said...

One of your best blogs yet! H ran around one evening with out his diaper on along with the explanation that poop and pee go in the toilet. He pooped and got a big bowl of chocolate chips and he never turned back. Soon his montra was " I go potty get chocolate chips?"
Good luck!! Maybe you could wait till they are all ready at the same time! That would be a great picture. three little men on thier potties!

H. said...

I so understand where you are coming from. There are no secrets in our bathroom for me(although T is able to have complete privacy everytime. I don't understand it.) Amen to everybody's pottytraining advice to wait. And by 8pm I am in the "No Touchy!" mode myself.

Stefanie Miller said...

Huh, I guess I would have thought that with twins they wouldn't care about you going into the bathroom for a couple of minutes because, you know, they would have each other. I'm at the exact same stage with Rebekah, so it looks like you have it times two instead of.. divided in half...or something. That's funny about the "no touchy" thing. For me, the poking and prodding usually starts innocently enough, like just climbing around on my lap, so I choose to ignore it, thinking they will get the hint, but they don't give up until the are sticking their fingers in my eyes, reaching down my shirt, pulling my hair, etc., and that is when it's enough.

Karen said...

i will agree on the "don't push it" theory... life is so much more pleasant when they WANT to learn! and don't let anyone tell you different. my boys were 3-3 1/2 when they learned, and i would always get comments from people...
and thanks for your cute comment on my blog today. i needed it :o) do you ever feel like that part of your life is SO far away???

Rachel said...

LOL