Monday, January 26, 2009

Banished

What was supposed to be a lovely weekend here:


turned into a homebound weekend of this:

And this....



And this....I know, if I didn't know better, I might call child protection services myself.

We were all excited and ready to brave a weekend with all the kids in Key West. It was going to be iffy - all of us plus my mom in one hotel room, but we were willing to try. Until the night before we were going to go and the kids were sick and up on an off all night. Debate ensued. My mom offered to stay home with the twins and Ryan and Cash and I could go. So we headed forward with that plan. Until the twins got crabbier and crabbier. When my neighbor (another ophthalmologist) happened to come home early from work that day, we figured out Ashton had pink eye. She said that pretty much we were all going to get it.

When Ryan was home, we discussed further options. He had a conference to go to, they were providing hotel rooms, and I really wanted to go and had been planning on it for months. BUT. A very slight red spot in my eye made me a person of suspect. And apparently going to a conference full of ophthalmologists saying you have "pink eye" is about on the same scale as yelling "terrorist" in an airport. So I was not only uninvited but pretty much forbidden from attending the conference.

Pink eye, plus snot from his cold, plus a split lip from falling on his face, plus how pathetic he looks in his helmet.... Poor kid.

Oh well, at least I didn' t have to go to some measures to get there. Our ophthalmologist neighbor's husband is also a physician. He wanted to go to the conference and get perks too, but to do so, apparently he had to sign up to give rectal exams all day.

10 comments:

Julie M. said...

I'm so sorry! That looks like not much fun. I hope it gets better soon. We've had croup, flu and sinus crap too. Good luck!

Goeb Life said...

Yikes! Looks like your hands are full. :( Sorry you weren't able to go. The kids look miserable and I am sure all they want is their momma. Hope they are feeling better soon.

SuburbiaMom said...

Oh, my what "fun." The pictures would make great posters with the caption "I'm having a bad day."

Melanie said...

Oh Jen! Bummer Bummer Bummer! Kids have amazing timing! We nearly had a puking birthday boy at his party but thank god Harrison waited several hours after his party to start puking.
I thought you missed your cruise! But then read on and had a sigh of relief it was not your cruise weekend.

Spar-Mar Girl said...

That first picture is the best, saddest picture ever! It reminded me of Valentine's Day when Reagan was 8 months old-all of us looked just like that. I'm so sorry your weekend getaway was spoiled-but at least it wasn't the cruise!!

The Spendloves said...

Ok, I saw this post and I immediately thought you were talking about the cruise... but I figured out you weren't... phew!!

But still, that sucks. And how nice of your boys to pose for such perfect shots... "I'm sick and I feel like crap so stop taking pictures of me, mom" shots.

Laurie said...

SOOO Sorry! Last Christmas my whole family ended up with pink eye while we were having a great vacation in Palm Springs and Disney. Cait and Adam even got it twice. I managed to stay pink free by washing my hands alot and using paper towels. Good Luck! Love L

Anonymous said...

And this, well I'm not jealous of at all. In fact, these pictures make me feel so bad for you!!!! I wasn't thinking anything too bad just annoying, but I also forgot it would be double and didn't know you missed out on a weekend at a hotel! I love being in hotels. Yet, I've got to tell you with kids it isn't so great!!! I remember taking Dawson and going with Cory to work one night. Dawson was so excited and just sat there and pulled one kleenex after another out. Then he was WAY TOO excited to sleep. Wanted to explore everything. So we didn't get much sleep and Cory didn't invite us to go with him for quite sometime after that!

Julie

Jenilee said...

They look miserable in those pictures. I hope you all get better soon.

Sarah Starr Alleman Smith said...

Those pictures say it all honey. Good luck.