Friday, March 26, 2010

Magical

The magical moment that people have been telling me about / consoling me with for the last two years has finally begun: my kids are all playing together!  Yes, it took almost a full two years. For about the first year of their lives, Cash wanted nothing to do with the twins. He eventually got used to the fact that they came everywhere we did, and would possibly hand them a toy now and then, but that was about the extent of it. The twins are also less mature than Cash was in all the same stages and it seems that only recently they've really figured out how to play. Cash had a remarkably long attention span and could play with one toy for hours when he was seriously like 8 months. The twins have just barely figured that they can sit and play with something for more than 15 seconds. (I'm sure my motherhood is deficient here somewhere.) Up until now they've mostly just been a destructive
nuisance and annoyed Cash to no end by ruining all his projects and stealing his toys. But anyway, they've somehow reached the level where Cash has deemed them cool enough to involve them in playing and he has just now discovered the joys of telling your little brothers what to do.  "Come over here, Phoenix. Sit down Phoenix..." So brother, mostly, I should say, as Phoenix is the willing subject and Ashton is in his own little world. And Phoenix following him around with "Cashy, Cashy!" Why he insists on calling him Cashy, I don't know, but it's adorable. And is really more like "Da-see" since he can't say his Cs or the sh sound very well.


It's always been fun to watch the twins interact with each other, but even more so now as their thoughts and schemes gain some sophistication. I guess even when it means they think up dumping a box of cereal all over the floor and I walk out to find them spinning around on their bellies licking it up. But I just love the fact that wherever one twin goes, the other is sure to follow.  Of course all this increased interaction with everyone also means more fights to break up, but there are a few magical moments now and then when I actually find my kids all busy entertaining themselves together and I realize - wow, I can actually do something! Which usually means clean, but hey, it does seem my house is more clean lately, and doing it without someone screaming underfoot is certainly more pleasant.






The first clue I got that Cash actually liked them was when he moved up from nursery to primary in our church. I've personally always thought that must stink - going from playing with toys and getting snacks for a couple hours to have to sit and try to be quiet and listen for the better part of two hours. I mean, they sing and color and stuff, but it's got to be a big change. So every week he'd start asking if his brothers could come with him.  Awwww. That was so sweet to realize they really are their own little support system. Now my only worry is that shy and anti-social Cash will never bother to make friends since he has his little buddies to fall back on!

(Notice the new addition to our house? Still a novelty thank goodness and bedtime is a little less crazy. Although I'll actually admit, every now and then I miss Phoenix's under-the-door commentary as he watched us pass by until he would finally fall asleep curled in a little ball on the other side of the door.)

So anyway, all those who consoled me by saying, "Yeah but when they're older and they all play together you'll love it," well, I'm glad I made it far enough (without spontaneously combusting from all the effort it took to get here) to finally start to see it! It is truly delightful.

10 comments:

Safire said...

Lucky! I am still not at that point. Although my boys play a little with each other, they drive my girl crazy. They mess up her stuff. They undress her dolls. They take her 'sets' away.

Sigh...this is one of the reason why I can't wait for her to go to school. Stop the fighting!

Anonymous said...

I was so impressed when they worked by themselves to put together a small train track in the hall, while Cash was elsewhere doing something entirely different. Darling shots!

xoxoGrammy

Jenilee said...

Yay Jen that is so exciting. It is so fun to watch siblings play together. Bella and Savannah have started consoling each other when they get in trouble. Pretty cute.

The Spendloves said...

Although my boys don't have an older sibling, they do play so good together right now. Yeah there's a lot of fighting over toys, but I can put them in their room for 30 plus minutes and find them reading books to each other when I open the door again. It's no nice to be at this stage finally.

The Freemans said...

They are so sweet and life is better when they can play together...I've moved now form playing together to my 10 year old teasing the holy heck out of his 4 year old brother. Hopefully you're kids are close enough in age this won't happen. Glad you have a little more peace and quiet. Also loved your post about the boyfriend shorts. My husband seriously has chicken legs so those would have been hilarious!!! By the way when is your next trip to Utah?

SuburbiaMom said...

I love it when they play together!! Congratulations!

Melanie said...

That is so wonderful! I was an only child and always wanted siblings. I supplemented this need with being with big busy families. Cash and the twins will cherish each other and Im sure it will only get better and better. I know sometimes I wish H had a built in play mate! Im so glad it is all working out for you!

todd & nicole said...

They are all so adorable. So nice they are all playing together. I remember when Hailee was about 2 and I would babysit a little girl her age, I loved how they played together and thought twins would be so nice. I got so much done when I would babysit. It's just getting to that point that would be miserable.

Krista said...

so does this post actually mean that you can start thinking about having another baby some day?
let me know...I am curious, My twins are 5 and I feel like this is the first time I have even considered talking about such a thing in five years.

LuAnn said...

Oh the fun begins! So worth it.