Sunday, November 29, 2009

Feeling so domestic


I was so proud of my domesticity this Thanksgiving. I had some of the most successful pie crusts I've ever made! And I've had a good amount of flops - leading to store-bought crusts for the last few years, so I was feeling brave to try it again for an audience. I made Dutch apple and cranberry pear. And homemade rolls - another first. I like that I'm gradually getting into this Thanksgiving thing - last year I hosted and attempted my first turkey, this year it was pies and rolls. (And wow, it's much less stress not hosting!) Actually, I don't know what else there is interesting or challenging after turkey, rolls or pies - the other stuff is pretty mundane. I sort of like the creativity of pies. Do people make them the day before though? I didn't dare because it seemed they would get soggy, but it could sure take up your whole Thanksgiving if you were making anything else - anyone had any experience?

Then I made homemade French hot chocolate this weekend for putting up Christmas decorations and a sore throat. It wasn't quite as charming and homey as I thought since all Ryan did was complain about putting up Christmas and kept sneaking back to the computer to look for Black Friday internet deals, and the kids just cried from not being able to play with all the decorations. Maybe I'll crank up my Christmas tunes, make my hot chocolate and just send everyone away next year and do it by my merry little self. At least my bows made me happy. I probably went a little crazy on the bow-making, but figured it was probably one of the few things I could actually put up without the kids ruining.

13 comments:

Rochelle said...

Impressive! Pies look great! I want that French Hot Chocolate recipe...that sounds so yummy right now!

Laurie said...

I love desserts cause they are fun to make. Your pies were beautiful. If you have the right crust recipe then you can make them a day ahead with out soggy. "Best recipe" cooks illustrated cookbook for the crust. I can send it to you. Larry always does our turkey. Yes! post the french hot chocolate. Love L

Jenilee said...

Your pies look amazing and delicious. I too attempted the pie this year. The pumpkin turned out great, but the apple needs some work.
Did you make that beautiful bow? I am horrible at making bows.

Anonymous said...

Great pies! They look delicious. Beautiful bow. The perfect touch for your front door.

xoxocyh

Jen I said...

Yes, I made the bows!

Lofgrens said...

Those pies are beautiful! I bet they tasted awesome!!!!! Glad you had a great holiday. Perhaps you could share your recipes?????

jgalke said...

I put my little boys' plastic jungle animals (cute but not so chic) on my tree so I wouldn't cry when they ripped them down and threw them. Worked wonders.

katya said...

I made a homemade crust for my apple pie for the first time this year too! Otherwise I use store bought crust and make the fillings. I did NOT do the turkey, and I also made dinner rolls, and the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. And we hosted! But, I love hosting... and I don't have three little boys :) so it wasn't too bad getting it all done. I don't make my pies ahead, but I did make the crust dough the night before.

And your pies do look perfect! I was pleased with my pie as well and how easy the crust recipe was with a Cuisinart processor. If you have one, I highly recommend it for the pie crusts.

Gavin and Shawna said...

Nice work, June Cleaver. I am all about the Marie Calendars crusts. I have yet to locate my Christmas decor from our last move (another reason i don't care to move)...i put my tree up on a small table when my kiddos are small enough to not touch...seemed to work...although i always wondered about the tip-over factor.

Susan said...

Congratulations! Well done. They look good enough to eat!

AnnaMarie said...

Way to go! Pies I usually make the day before...most kinds are fine overnight. Apple, cherry, strawberry, pumpkin. Nice bow-making!

Melanie said...

How how HOW did you cut that perfect crust on your cherry pie??? The squares are perfect! Do not tell me you did it by hand. As for making pies ahead - I think they turn out fine. If you make them in the evening and then do not refridgerate them they usually dont get mushy.
Job well done.

Goeb Life said...

How about the recipe? Did someone else already ask for it? Those pies look amazing!